How to make Korean Makgeolli
Pour 1 liter of water in a container. Add leaven and yeast and mix well until all leaven has melted.
2. Add 7 oz. (200g) of rice flour and stir well with a whisk or hand mixer until there are no lumps.
3. Close the container and let it sit at a room temperature for 3-4 days. Stir it twice a day, morning and evening.
4. After 3-4 days of fermentation, the mixture will form separate layers. Strain liquor through a sieve to sift out the leaven.
5. Keep the liquor in the refrigerator. (Keep the lid loose to prevent further fermentation.)
6. Enjoy home-brewed makgeolli to your own preference by adding honey, sugar, fruit juice or fruit syrup.
Ideas for Makgeolli Cocktail
1. Soda Makgeolli
Mix Makgeolli and Sprite or Seven-Up in 5:1 ratio.
2. Makgeolli Ale
Mix Makgeolli and beer in a 1:1 ratio.
3. Strawberry Makgeolli
Mix 2 cups of Makgeolli, 1 cup of Sprite, and 2 spoons of strawberry syrup.
4. Banana Makgeolli
Pour Makgeolli and bananas in a blender in a ratio of 9:1, and blend them well. Add some Sprite to your preference.